I kin explain

Did that post you just read make you go "huh?????" I kin explain. Maybe.

Sunday, October 31, 2010

Hallowed Thoughts

Hakko Harry and ittle Zizzie. ca 1992.

What "should" people of faith think about Halloween?

Do you think about Halloween … or to you is it just a fun time to dress up and carve pumpkins and tell ghost stories?

Since becoming a Christian (something I did relatively late in life, in my early 30s), I’ve struggled with reconciling my faith with the observance of Halloween – the second most celebrated holiday after Christmas. The struggle has been internal, as I continued to dress up and take my daughter trick-or-treating and to delight at seeing small children dressed up as superheroes and bumblebees and monkeys and the like.

One year, our youth group organized a party at the church. We learned, though, that even with our central location, we’re not in the best spot for trick-or-treating. Our church is situated on an island with little or no foot traffic. The approach to our front door from the parking lot is long and very very dark. But a few dozen people participated, and we handed out candy and little cards with a Bible verse and invitation to services and upcoming events. At the time we thought perhaps we’d do a drive-through trunk-and-treat activity in future years.

Some of my Christian friends are firm in the belief that Halloween cannot be reconciled with our call to be disciples of Jesus Christ. To them, there is no compromise. I respect that and feel rather wishy-washy in comparison with my own personal response. But I do agree that as thoughtful Christians, we should know what we are celebrating. So I’ve done a little more research and a little more thinking every year and still have yet to take a firm stand.

My eyes were opened a little wider last year when I attended the youth program at another church here in Saginaw on Oct. 30. In addition to hearing the pastor’s testimony about why he refuses to observe Halloween (stemming back to terrifying childhood memories of being chased in a part of Cuba where children were hunted for human sacrifice), I learned that there are people right here in our community TODAY who associate this time of year with fear – real fear – not fun.

Some of the youth testified that their parents and otherwise trusted adults in their lives were involved in devil worship, and Halloween is prime recruiting time. Most were frightened of the violence in their neighborhoods that escalates at this time of year. Rather than fond memories of dressing up and parties and trick-or-treating, they associate October 31 with hiding in the dark and praying that their homes are not destroyed. And I think most shocking to me was that they were praying for the souls of loved ones who choose darkness over light. This was heavy, heavy stuff.

I met young people with a very different understanding of developing a relationship with Jesus Christ. They possessed a heightened sense of urgency about accepting the Lord of Light and rejecting the forces of darkness. After listening to and praying with those young people, I remember feeling my conscience pricked for being not just wishy-washy about Halloween but wishy-washy in my faith.

So this year, All Hallows’ Eve falls on a Sunday. The Lord’s Day. It’s a good time to contemplate where faith and observance of the holiday intersect.

Here are some links I found with a lot of good reading on the subject:


Relevant scripture
(a handy list from one of the articles above; I encourage you to read the scripture, consider the context, and discern the relevance in your life)

1 Thessalonians 5:21-22
James 1:27
3 John 1:11
Romans 12:9
Deuteronomy 18:9-14
Ephesians 5:11-12
1 Timothy 4:1
1 Corinthians 10:21
2 Corinthians 6:14-17
Philippians 4:8
1 Corinthians 11:1
1 Corinthians 10:31
James 4:7-8
Ezekiel 44:23
Proverbs 22:6
Matthew 18:6
Hosea 4:6
John 3:19-20
Romans 13:12
Ephesians 6:11-18
1 John 5:19
2 Chronicles 7:14

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails