I kin explain

Did that post you just read make you go "huh?????" I kin explain. Maybe.

Saturday, October 31, 2009

28 Jobs


A few years ago, we had an intern at work who thought it would be amusing to count all of the jobs I’ve held. It seems that in the context of trying to understand a particular challenge facing us in creative and planning meetings that I’d often find an opportunity to offer examples from past employment such as, “well, when I drove a semi” or “when I worked as a bartender” or “those two weeks I was an operator at an answering service in Buffalo ...”

OK, so there have been quite a few. But I’d like to point out two things: continuous employment throughout my adult life (sometimes holding three jobs at once) and ... geez, doesn’t this just make me a much more complex and well-rounded person, not to mention a writer who can speak from many perspectives? What, is someone out there accusing me of being fickle, not able to make up my mind and easily distracted by the next shiny thing? Me?

Let’s take a look at my résumé, shall we? (Drum roll, please ... )

High School

  1. Babysitter (too many jobs to count)
  2. Model, teen merchandise “consultant” and Christmas elf (I'm not kidding)
  3. Cleaner of houses/odd-job doer

College (first time)

  1. Cafeteria worker
  2. Gourmet ice cream scooper and cookie tester
  3. Companion/helper for elderly couple
  4. Bartender/Waitress (7 jobs)
  5. Retail salesperson
  6. Answering service operator

Early Mommy (and back-to-college) Years

  1. French tutor
  2. Nanny
  3. Discovery Toys “educational consultant”
  4. Sculpture gallery docent
  5. Holiday gift wrapper
  6. Lab assistant (two separate stints, same employer)
  7. Public Health Department WIC technician
  8. Medical assistant/transcription (-ist?)/office manager

Recent Years (1996 – present)

  1. Nonprofit coordinator/grant-writer/truck driver
  2. Communications manager for advertising technology startup
  3. Art studio manager ... and truck driver
  4. Technical/creative copywriter/content manager/morale officer (current)
  5. Pampered Chef “kitchen consultant” (current)

(Yes, EJG, there are 28.)

Of course, from the early mommy years onward, my most important job has been that of Mother. So with nearly 20 years experience in that role, I should be equipped to take on anything. Right? Not that I'm planning to go anywhere. Sometimes, it's just nice to reflect on where you've been and where you are now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails