I kin explain

Did that post you just read make you go "huh?????" I kin explain. Maybe.

Friday, January 16, 2009

Dropped on My Head

Nope, that's not me. But I wish I could do that. Rizzu sent this image to me some months ago when I was having a brain-flattening week. So this little reminder of the need to put things in the proper perspective is posted above my desk at work. I just learned that this feat should be credited to dancer Maureen Fleming (http://www.maureenfleming.com/). Her site is worth checking out.

But I digress.

I'm not really a stand-on-my-head sort of person, actually. Aunt Judy is, though. She's in her 70s and runs up and down stairs like 50 times a day - and does headstands. But that's another story.

I used to make a point of doing handstands at least once a day. Not leaning over and cleverly inserting my hands under my feet. And, I must confess, not doing a free-standing handstand (although I was able to do that and walk around a bit on my hands in my more svelte and limber days, oh-so-long-ago). Rather, I would flip my inverted self up against the most convenient available surface and rest there until I thought the right amount of blood had flowed back into my brain - an especially important thing to do mid-afternoon. Or, if I was experiencing writer's block at any time of the day. Or any time I felt giddy with happiness, I just knew it was a good time for a handstand ... like when I was at Parc Güell in Barcelona a few years ago, and was so overwhelmed by the beautiful day and the amazing space the visionary Gaudi had created, a handstand just seemed the only appropriate response.

I've almost completely forgotten my point.

Oh right: Dropped on my head. Sometimes I wonder. Others probably do, too - the way I go off on Wiki-style tangents. Ann always said I start conversations in the middle and need to catch people up.

I haven't done handstands in a long time. Twisted my arm funny during the photo shoot for the company website a couple of years ago and I've been afraid to re-injure myself. I'm getting old and fragile, after all.

Looks like I'd better build up my strength. I think it's high time I began doing handstands again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails