I kin explain

Did that post you just read make you go "huh?????" I kin explain. Maybe.

Thursday, April 1, 2010

The Friar's Fruity Koolsla

Two nuns and a priest walked into a bar ...

No wait, that's a story for another day. But there were two nuns and a priest at our table at the Scottish Inn last night. Share invited me to join her, John and some friends for a cold beverage or two on one of our first beautiful spring days after a looooooong and cold winter.

Since I moved back home about a month ago, my evening routine was to put my feet up for a couple of hours when I got home from work. I'd read and/or watch a movie and just be generally slug-like until the swelling in my right ankle went down ... and then discover it was time to put my jammies on and read some more until it was time to turn out the light. And then drag myself out of bed at the last possible second in the morning, get ready for work ... and do it again.

My routine hasn't varied much even since getting permission from Dr. Prettygood's office last Wednesday to start driving again. After three months, you'd think I'd just be driving all over the place! Nope. Just the library to stock up on reading material. The grocery store to stock up on java. But the swelling in the right ankle is less and less every day and I know it's time to break out of the routine.

So yesterday when I got home I knew I needed to force myself to get out - or sort of out - in the nice weather. I accepted my big sister's invitation and drove to the little pub that's really only about 5 blocks away to be social.

The past few weeks I've been struggling with what this blog's supposed to be about (well, THAT and just my whole life in general). But today is Thursday, the day we'd designated to share recipes. So that's easy! Here's a nice twist on coleslaw I think I'll try with Easter dinner. Share: Do you have some Grand Marnier I can borrow?

The Friar's Fruity Koolsla

All quantities are to taste. I'll let you know what I figure out after I try this.

Bag of shredded cabbage and carrot slaw
Braeburn and Granny Smith apples - coarsely chopped
Dried cranberries or dried cherries
1 can Mandarin oranges, drained with juice reserved
I can pineapple chunks, drained with juice reserved
Red onion - chopped

1 lemon
Grand Marnier
Hellman's mayonnaise
Vidalia onion dressing
Poppy seeds
Toasted, salted sunflower seeds

Marinate cranberries or cherries in Grand Marnier mixed with the reserved juice from the oranges and pineapple for at least an hour. Set aside.

Coarsely chop apples and toss in lemon juice. Chop onion. Coarsely chop oranges and pineapple. To a large, non-metal bowl, add all of these chopped things and toss lightly.

Assess quantity of dressing needed.

Combine mayo, Vidalia dressing, poppy seeds and a bit of the marinade. Stir dressing into the slaw with drained, recently marinated fruit just before serving. Top with sunflower seeds.

Oh geez. The bells are ringing. Gotta go get ready for work and I haven't even read Misty's blog yet.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, that sounds AMAZING. Definitely gonna try it. (I hope you have leftovers that you want to share.) And thanks for the blog shout-out. You rock!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails