I kin explain

Did that post you just read make you go "huh?????" I kin explain. Maybe.

Sunday, October 17, 2010

Playing with squash

I really have not done well at following NaBloPoMo's "Play" theme this month. I'm pretty sure that's OK. It's just a writing prompt in case I'm blocked and need a nudge. Though the idea of playing with squash (in this case, with an immersion blender as part of my soup-making process today) brings up the memory of teaching Lizz's Girl Scout troop how to make potato soup and not letting it cool sufficiently before putting batches of hot potatoes and broth in the blender and ... oh yeah, causing gluey potato bits and starchy liquid to spew all over the church kitchen we were using. Ceiling, cupboards, counter, floor, Girl Scouts, me ... good times! A cooking, cleaning and safety lesson all in one. Because I'm efficient like that.

I'm writing this post having just polished off my second bowl of Butternut Squash Soup. i've tinkered with various squash soup concoctions (love the stuff) but I got this particular recipe from Scott Kelly, chef at the Saginaw Downtown Farmers Market a few Saturdays ago. It was a cold and drizzly day - was that two weeks ago? Three? I finally picked up the chicken stock I needed today so when I got home this afternoon I got the soup going, put in a load of laundry and hunkered down with my new book. (Finally picked up Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, which had been on my must-read list for a while.)

After the inevitable, and brief, nap that followed, the squash that had been simmering in a garlicky, oniony broth was the perfect tenderness to blend to perfection in mere moments with minimum mess using the immersion blender I inherited from Aunt Harriet. I wish the Girl Scouts could see me now.

Here's the recipe:

Butternut Squash Soup
Chef Scott Kelly, Saginaw Downtown Farmers Market

2-3 pounds butternut squash - peeled, seeded and chopped
1/2 C olive oil
6 cloves garlic - peeled and pinced
1 large onion
2 quarts vegetable or chicken stock
1/4 tsp dried thyme
Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste

In a large stock pot heat the olive oil over medium heat. Sauté onion and garlic just until onions are translucent, taking care not to burn the garlic. Add the squash and stir to cover with oil-onion-garlic mixture. Add the stock and the thyme and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 30-45 minutes or until the squash is tender and cooked through. Very carefully purée (in a food processor or blender in batches and only after cooling!) or use an immersion blender. Taste and adjust seasoning as desired. Before serving, drizzle in some heavy cream or half and half for a richer flavor. I added a generous sprinkle of shaved Parmesan and ate my soup with crusty whole grain bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails