I kin explain

Did that post you just read make you go "huh?????" I kin explain. Maybe.

Saturday, October 16, 2010

The potato man


Jim DeWyse - The Potato Man
 Yes, he really is called The Potato Man.

But his real name is Jim DeWyse and he's been in the potato business in these parts for 35 years, carrying on a family business started by his father.

I finally got up the nerve to ask Jim a few things one day when I went to the farmers market on my lunch hour. First of all, his name. And then, I wanted to know if I could buy all the potatoes and onions (he grows BEAUTIFUL onions, too) I thought I'd need for the next several months and store them properly so I wouldn't need to get them at the grocery store in the winter months.

I know this used to be done in the old days. But why is it that when I put my potatoes and onions in the pantry, the potatoes spoil and ooze all over and the onions grow giant sprouty things? What was I doing wrong?

Jim said I should put them in a cool, dry, dark place. Well, the pantry closet is dark but I guess in the summer months it's not very cool and probably not maintaining the right humidity level. It's definitely cool in the winter because it's not insulated. He also suggested putting them in a foam cooler. So maybe I'll try that. Please don't let me forget that I put a pile of potatoes on the counter in the basement kitchen because last year I forgot about the Hubbard squash down there and it EXPLODED all over.

I love it when the farmers tell me stories, and I definitely want to go back and have Jim tell me some more. I was fascinated listening to him and didn't want to be rudely jotting down notes in my little book while he was traveling down memory lane. But he told me that his dad used to deliver potatoes all around this area, directly to people's homes. Some of the ladies who bought the potatoes would greet his dad with freshly baked pies.

If someone delivered my potatoes, I'd do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails