I kin explain

Did that post you just read make you go "huh?????" I kin explain. Maybe.

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Chewy, gooey fun

Yesterday, we had TWO birthdays to celebrate at work. Birthdays=interesting treats. 


In the morning, we were treated to marinated cheese and Ju Ju fish. Awesome combo. As much as I love cheese, I'd never heard of doing this before (the cheese thing, not necessarily pairing it with Ju Ju fish). Boy, am I behind the times. I Googled it and got more than 6 million results. Here's one version, with a photo of what it looks like. Recipes are all pretty similar, but the one we were served is below. (And mid-afternoon, we got Drumstick ice cream cones!)


Marinated Cheese

 Prep Time:  10 Minutes
 Chill: 8 Hours

Ingredients

1   (0.7-oz.) envelope Italian dressing mix   
1/2 cup  vegetable oil   
1/4 cup  white vinegar   
2 tablespoons  minced green onion   
2 tablespoons  water   
1 1/2 teaspoons  sugar   
1   (8-oz.) block Monterey Jack cheese, chilled   
1   (8-oz.) block Cheddar cheese, chilled   
1   (8-oz.) package cream cheese, chilled   
1   (4-oz.) jar chopped pimiento, drained   
   Assorted crackers   

Preparation


1. Whisk together first 6 ingredients. Set aside.
2. Cut Monterey Jack cheese in half lengthwise. Cut each half crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Repeat with Cheddar cheese and cream cheese.
3. Arrange cheese in 4 rows in a shallow 2-qt. baking dish, alternating Monterey Jack cheese, Cheddar cheese, and cream cheese. Pour marinade over cheese. Cover and chill at least 8 hours.
4. Drain marinade; arrange cheese on a platter in rows. Top with pimiento, and serve with assorted crackers.


Note: Many of the recipes I found did not drain the marinade, so I'd say draining is optional

1 comment:

  1. Wowzers! The marinated cheese looks pretty darn delicious. I've never had any before nor seen it, so this is the first time that I'm being introduced to it and I admit, I like what I see. :) mmm! Drumstick ice cream cones are always a GREAT treat as well as Ju Ju fish. I liked how you summed up this post, Mama Nancy! "Birthdays = interesting treats" for sure!!! :D Yippee for post #2 this week. So LOVE-ing it for the beginning of my day.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails