I kin explain

Did that post you just read make you go "huh?????" I kin explain. Maybe.

Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Appreciating

When I got off the plane in Miami on June 10, I found myself among a sea of people - hundreds, it seemed - all ages - returning from mission, school-related and "eco" trips to Nicaragua, Guatemala, Haiti and other parts of Central and Latin America. Mixed in were business travelers and visitors to the U.S. It was immediately apparent that our guests - those not carrying a U.S. passport - were not welcomed as warmly as those of use who carried the prized blue document. 

"U.S. passports to the left, all others to the right!" shouted the uniformed guard.

When I handed my passport to the agent at U.S. Customs, she looked at it briefly, smiled pleasantly and  handed it back. "Welcome home," she said simply.

I was suddenly overcome with emotion and had to blink back the tears.

Home.

How did I become so blessed that this is my home? And, more important, how will I spend that blessing?

Today, I'm appreciating the blessing of my U.S. citizenship a little more than usual. A fresh perspective will do that.

Happy Independence Day, everyone!

p.s. Here is one of the videos about La Chureca I came across last night. It's one of the best I've seen so far. I love how this fellow American is spending his blessing on behalf of others. It's about 10 minutes long, but well worth it.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails