I kin explain

Did that post you just read make you go "huh?????" I kin explain. Maybe.

Friday, July 13, 2012

Camping out

One of my co-worker writer friends took her kids to camp earlier this week. On Tuesday I think, she sent them each a postcard - each from a different vacation destination: NYC, San Francisco and London. (She had also mailed out "normal" letters to them the day before.). "Dad and I got a deal we couldn't pass up on a flight to _________," she said - a slightly different message to each kid. She went on to detail the highlights of their fictitious trip ... "Wish you were here!"

I thought it was hilarious and can't wait to hear what their reactions were. At what point did they check the postmark? Did they meet and compare notes -and when?

It's kind of a big deal to get mail at camp. This is what C's husband reminded her of - even if they're only gone for a week. "Your name is called when the mail is distributed. You don't want to be one of the ones who doesn't get ANY mail!"

I first went to camp the summer after my mom died in 1977. I remember getting cards and letters from my dad and big sister. Dad's letters were kind of mushy. He missed me. I went to Girl Scout horse camp for two weeks. My sister's cards were fun and happy - like her.

Oh my gosh. Lizz went to camp a few times. I have no idea if I sent letters. I will have to ask. Parental fail.

But what do you think of sending joke postcards to kids away at camp? Did you go to camp and get memorable mail from your parents or siblings? Sweet, silly or otherwise?

Do tell!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails