I kin explain

Did that post you just read make you go "huh?????" I kin explain. Maybe.

Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Mmmm ... Sectinos and Cheese

I was proofreading today and caught a tiny little spelling error I'd missed earlier - I think I skimmed over it previously because it looked like a real word: sectinos.

Humor is always good to use when covering up proofreading misses, I think. Sectinos sounds like something tasty you could order at an Italian restaurant. "I'll have the ravioli with sectinos ... and yes, I'd love some grated Parmesan and freshly ground black pepper, thank you very much."

Some spelling errors are more egregious (can you be more egregious?) than others - like when I worked at the public health department and saw a brochure they'd printed 5000 of that was missing the 'l' on Public in just about every instance - particularly all headlines. This was during one of my 27 other jobs (and back in the medical career phase) so I was not the communications person responsible for that gaffe, thank goodness. Thusly, I found just a wee bit of joy pointing it out.

OK. This is funny. I thought I'd better look up sectinos just in case it was something obscene. This is a family blog, after all. I don't even say the "b" word here. So it's a pretty common typo, it seems. Google even asks very politely if I meant to search for sections. And Wikipedia, too. So now that I've consulted all reputable sources ...

I think I've found me a new word. Cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails