I kin explain

Did that post you just read make you go "huh?????" I kin explain. Maybe.

Monday, March 8, 2010

(Still) a little batty


I borrowed this image taken by Phil Myers from the University of Michigan Museum of Zoology Web site because I did not have the foresight to take a photo of the cute little brown bat in my shower the other night. I was a tad preoccupied. And all the other photos I found look so scary with fangs and snarly faces! This looks a lot more like our visitor. Just tilt your head a little ... isn't it sweet?

I'm pretty sure Claudette and I entertained a Myotis lucifugus

And even though our guest was tiny and helpless and not really very scary, I'm still not a fan of going upstairs to see if its brothers and sisters (and mom, dad, cousins, aunts and uncles, etc.) are hanging around. 

I really need some advice. In addition to throwing the question out yesterday here, I put it to my friends on Facebook and I added it to the agenda of our morning meeting at work. Here's what I have so far:
  • A former co-worker suggested I check my belfry (so supportive)
  • A friend from elementary school said to just wait and it would return (how is that helpful????)
  • A friend from junior high said it could have come down the chimney and through the furnace and that I may need to install a screen up there (that does not sound like a DIY project)
  • My neighbor said something about looking for recipes (!!)
  • A church friend who has lots of experience in this area said if I have more I'll need to kill them or they'll return
  • Same friend suggested hanging a tension rod and netting at the door at the foot of the stairs ... just in case
  • Our office manager said I should build (or purchase) bat houses - and volunteered her husband to install them
  • Neighbor's son said I should have let Claudette keep playing with it ... rabies? what rabies?
  • I shoulda whacked it with a baseball bat or a tennis racket or a shovel
  • I should sleep with my light on ...
  • ... and door closed
  • ... with a blanket over my head
I keep hearing funny noises. Suspicious little thumps and scritchy scratches. But then it could be my imagination because Claudette is completely flaked out next to me here. She's snoring, in fact. Completely unconcerned.

So, I'm asking: Do I call a critter catcher? Animal control? Wait and see? Hide under the covers? What would you do?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails