I kin explain

Did that post you just read make you go "huh?????" I kin explain. Maybe.

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

A great line

My daughter and I share a love of reading. For the past several years, one of my favorite gifts from Lizz at birthdays and Christmas has been a pile of books she's selected just for me. Sometimes it is a mix of library books and purchased books. Often, the books are accompanied by an illustrated list of some sort that I can keep long after the books have been returned or integrated more fully into my library.

For my birthday a few weeks ago, it was a bookmark-list, with a bit of cash stuffed in a little pocket in back. Isn't it cute? I'm sorry my photo is fuzzy so you can't read the list but here are the books my very cool kid selected with me in mind:
  1. Everything I needed to know about being a girl I learned from Judy Bloom - done
  2. The Last Lecture - done
  3. Bound South
  4. The Imperfectionists
  5. Stones from the River - in progress
  6. An Ocean in Iowa
  7. The Secret of Joy
  8. If You Lived Here
I wanted to share a line from this book, by German author Ursula Hegi:
Threads of cold rain stitched the earth to the gray sky.

Isn't that a great line?

I thought so.

Have you come across a really great line in something you've read? Do share!

2 comments:

  1. ooh! i love that line! wish i could write like that. haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. uhh, Lizz, you already do write lots of wonderful lines yourself, silly! ;)

    This is SO COOL!! I didn't even know Lizz did this whole book list...it sounds awesome. I like the idea very much.

    Hm, I wonder if "The Last Lecture" was an idea she got from me or not. There was a time when I was not obsessed with the lecture, but was quite the enthusiast about it.

    But then again, I haven't heard of the other books on the list, so the inclusion of "The Last Lecture" might just be do to Lizz's great taste in literature.

    Okey dokey, back to the post: The bookmark list is very cute! :)

    I'm going to take a look at all those books that Lizz mentioned and see what they are about. You're a quick reader mama nancy!! mmm, that is a great line. I really like it.

    Lizz is such a cool kid...and you're a cool mom!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails