I kin explain

Did that post you just read make you go "huh?????" I kin explain. Maybe.

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Herbalicious

Look, Share! My basil is growing! Right in the bag! 

I got this cool, grow-your-own-basil-in-a-bag kit for my birthday from my very special sister. It's pretty clear I won't be winning any photography awards, but you can see the little sprouts even in my fuzzy photo. Neat-o, huh? If you squinch your eyes a bit, you can see the sprouts smiling at you!

At the rate my baby basil plants are growing, I should be able to transplant them in a few days. I'm supposed to wait until they're 2-3 inches tall. (They're almost 2 inches now.) I think I started them a week ago? So easy ... I just snipped off the top of the bag, fluffed the mulchy stuff, added a cup of water and the seeds and then a few days later ... sprouts!

I love to surround myself with basil this time of year. Nothing says summer like a simple Caprese salad - vine-ripened tomatoes, fresh basil, fresh mozzarella, some really good olive oil and maybe a bit of balsamic vinegar drizzled between layers ... sea salt and freshly ground pepper ... mmmmmm ... 

I'm not much of a gardener, but I do love to plant lots of fresh herbs every year. Basil (several varieties), Greek oregano, marjoram, rosemary, cilantro and Italian flat leaf parsley are staples. My English thyme, lemon balm, rue, mint and lavender plants from last year survived the winter and are going crazy. I've had to cut them back twice already. 

Oh, and by the way: The rue and lavender have done NOTHING to deter the neighborhood cats from pooping in my yard.

So all day today I've felt like it was Friday. I almost put on jeans this morning when I was getting ready for work (we get to wear jeans on Fridays) and then remembered it was only Friday-like for me because I'm taking the next two days off. I'm going to see Edna bright and early (9 a.m.) to get my hair cut and brows waxed. And then? Well, we'll just see. There are so many possibilities.

Sweet dreams, all.

1 comment:

  1. Mmm! Everything you have written about the salad sounds sooo good--tasty delicious! :)

    I like it when you use your writing skills to write about food because I can easily picture what you are talking about even though I don't know what a Caprese salad is! Plus, you're making me hungry!! :)

    Glad that your basil is growing. Hmm, I might take at the grow your herb things in a bag too. Looks nifty!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails