I kin explain

Did that post you just read make you go "huh?????" I kin explain. Maybe.

Saturday, February 13, 2010

E Entertainment

annagrammarian gave me the idea for today's post. Yesterday I had nonchalantly dropped that the Elizabeths were coming and annagrammarian first asked if the Amazing E had undergone mitosis or meiosis and then when I clarified that the Amazing E's roommate is also an Elizabeth she asked if they needed to determine a schedule for name use. By annagrammarian's calculations, after a week of taking turns (one gets it Monday, Wednesday and Friday, the other Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday), the girls would go nameless on Sunday.

According to the Elizabeths, this very topic is actually discussed at length. Or has come up - in Ann Arbor. So while I sit here sipping my coffee and the girls make pancakes and eggs, we're going to do our first-ever Shiny Things interview to fully investigate this deep issue.

ST: Tell me about what happened to your door. I heard something happened to your door.

EK: So one morning I was in the room and EM was already gone and I walked out and ... Bam! I discovered that someone had taken one of our name tags and left the tape, leaving us with only one Elizabeth on the door. So then I just centered it on the door because really, we only needed one anyway.

EM: It was traumatic at first. But we got over it.

EK: Yeah. It really bothered me that it was off center for a while. And then when we got new name tags for the new semester we had three name tags.

ST: Is name tags one one word or two?

EK: I'm going to change my name to Twinkle Star.

ST: So, what do your mutual friends call you? How do they resolve the Elizabeth issue?

EK: Generally EM wants to be called Lizz, so I let her. But when I call her that I visualize two Z's.

ST: We could call EM Bituzi and EK could be Liz.

EM: Um, no.

ST: So, EM, you're not willing to make concessions. Is that right?

EM: Well, I'm OK with us both being Liz(z). I just don't want to be the Elizabeth.

ST: So ... Twinkle Star, what is your major?

TS: I'm a Psychology major. And I recently applied to the school of Education.

EM: She crawls into bed to change her major and she emerges with a new one. Like a butterfly.

ST: Like a butterfly?

EM: Oh yeah. That's exactly it.

ST: Does she routinely do this or was that a one time occurrence?

EM: Well, she's done it a few times now. I've actually lost track.

ST: Ah. Well, Twinkle Star, how many times have you changed your major?

TS: Hmm, my declared major is Social Anthropology.

ST: That sounds cool. So how many times?

TS: Let's see: Psychology and Social Anthropology. Psychology, Sociology and Anthropology. Psychology and Sociology. Sociology and English. And now it's just Psychology. Then there's the decision about elementary or secondary education. And I'm not going to tell you about the part on my School of Education application where I put Language Arts with a Math minor. And then ...

EM: ... changed her mind after taking a math class for a few weeks.

ST: Whoaaa ... this is like a little walk down memory lane. You do know that I changed my major like 17 times, right? But I do see a pattern. So, EM. How about you? What's your major?

EM: Linguistics and Spanish.

ST: How did you know that was the right choice?

EM: It was a gut feeling. Actually, with Linguistics ... I put it on my application before really knowing what Linguistics was. At that point it was Linguistics and Judaic Studies because the university didn't offer Foreign Language or Religion as majors. And then when I did some research I was pretty sure that was what I wanted and then when I took my first Linguistics classes my freshman year I KNEW that was the right thing. I want to teach English as a Second Language after college. And I want to work on my Spanish and thought the classes I'd have to take as a Spanish major would help in the areas I wanted to improve.

ST: I remember you being so sure you wanted to be a pastor when you were 14. Back then I couldn't believe you were so certain - especially since I STILL don't know what I want to do when I grow up. Do you still want to be a pastor?

EM: Yes. But I also knew I wanted to work in the community before serving a local church. So my studies in this major have helped me see some of the things I'd like to do in the community. Now I just have to decide if it's here or abroad. Or with adults or kids. Do I need an advanced degree or ...

ST: So still lots of choices. But you have a direction. I've always admired that about you. That and so many other things.


Well, this concludes this morn ... er, afternoon's episode of E Entertainment. I think our pancakes are about done.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails