I kin explain

Did that post you just read make you go "huh?????" I kin explain. Maybe.

Saturday, February 27, 2010

Back to the scene

Today is the two-month anniversary of the surgery on my right ankle. Two months! That doesn't sound that long, does it?

And last night was the two-month anniversary of the day I was benched for the season. This is a picture of the real bench where I hung out that night. (The one I used for that post was actually from a neighborhood park.)

In honor of that special occasion, I went back to the office for a full day yesterday. M. Beteh picked me up in the morning and the other MB took me home. And then I spent a lovely evening with Annnnagrammarian and her family - whine and wine plus sorting out Box Tops for Education and catching up on all the doings of the last several weeks. When Annnnagrammarian drove me home, we stopped by the court house to take some pictures.

Uh yeah. She had to drive me home. And not because I'd had two glasses of wine.

I was so hopeful on Wednesday that Dr. Prettygood (seriously ... that's his name ... but in French!) would clear me to walk and drive. But no. Gotta master the walking thing first. With the support of my boot for a couple of weeks and then without ... for a couple more.

So I'm all about walkety-walky-walking now. Though with the knee-high CAM boot, my gait is a little more like Frankenstein-style lurching, I am pleased as punch to discover that I can:

  • carry a cup of coffee (or other liquid) from the kitchen to the bedr- office to the dining room to the library ... JOY!
  • haul my backpack PLUS all my various and sundry baggages - all at the same time
  • sit upright in a normal chair without an extra chair for my right leg
  • go up and down the stairs (though I keep it to a minimum and have not been to the second floor yet)
  • stand for longer periods of time without feeling like my left leg is going to break from bearing all my weight because now two legs can share the load
  • make a bed, do laundry, take out the garbage, sweep and vacuum, and maybe undecorate the Christmas tree
  • crouch down and get things from bottom drawers - can you imagine?
  • go grocery shopping and push a cart
  • wear clothes without pockets if I want because I can carry things in my hands 
  • wear fuzzy sweaters without worrying about my crutches wearing out the armpits and wear bracelets without getting them caught/crushed as I crutcher around
  • attempt to shop Amigo-free (while having a great appreciation for retailers and others who care enough to make their establishments accessible to all) 

In essence, I feel like I can fly!

So the past few days have been extra busy and I'm sorry I  haven't posted. I even missed recipe day on Thursday. Whoopsy. I'll make it up next Thursday. Because ... I can stand on two legs and COOK now! Part of the reason I've been busy is a dear friend was in town on Wednesday and she helped me move most of my stuff back home that evening. So I'm getting used to being back in my house again. I miss Sharon and Dr. Jake's B&B and retreat center, but I know they are just a phone call away. Remember when I was going there for a week or so and when after only 11 days I figured I'd start the process of moving back home? Well, a week or so turned into seven weeks and two days. How time flies!

So ... I'll end this long post with scenes of where I spent most of my time the last two months.

Here's my room - all tidied up for the next guest. The en suite bathroom was delightfully convenient.

Office






Conference room







Locker room
Skill development center









Looking back over the past seven weeks, I can only say I'm blessed. So very very blessed to have the love and support of family and friends during a time that was more challenging than I could have imagined. And one of the biggest blessings? My life slowed to a pace that afforded me a little more time to pay attention.

Wow. A wide-open Saturday ahead ... whatever shall I do?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails