I kin explain

Did that post you just read make you go "huh?????" I kin explain. Maybe.

Thursday, November 25, 2010

Giving thanks


Trencadis tile bench at Parc Güell, Barcelona
It's gloomy and gray and cold and drizzly outside. But soon the pie-baking will resume and the house will fill with the warm and spicy smells of apple and pumpkin, vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg ...

Last night, I relinquished the making of DJ's chocolate pie to Lizz. I hovered and coached while she made the most beautiful, perfect pie crusts. I was the sous chef, fetching ingredients and utensils and washing dishes while she reminded me that my job was to lead by encouragement and example.

Even though I'm trying to get used to being the only human in this house most of the time, it's so easy and right to fall into our old routines when the college kid comes home. Earlier in the day, when I got home from work, it wasn't even a surprise to find a girl-sized lump huddled in my bed. She said she'd first gone in there to snuggle with Claudette and then fell asleep. I climbed in and a myriad of topics wove in and out of our dialogue as she texted back and forth with a friend and I checked on the progress of an artist back at the office finishing up a project we had to get out last night. Dinner was veggie pizza eaten while I proofread and Lizz checked e-mail, asking every now and then, "Are you done yet?"

When the work was done, we shoved pizza boxes and computers out of the way to make room for a few rounds of Skip-Bo, procrastinating on starting the pie project. Speaking of procrastination and pie ... I'd better share some thankful thoughts so I can go get the master baker out of bed and we can get back to work!

I am thankful for my brilliant, beautiful, loving daughter. I'm thankful for her presence in my life and for the person she is and the gifts she shares with so many.

I cannot think back on this year without feeling extreme gratitude for my dear sister and brother-in-law, who adopted me for two whole months while I recovered from my broken ankle.

I am thankful for all of my family and friends - near and far.

I am thankful for quiet moments to enjoy strong, hot coffee with a stripey cat purring under my elbow while I bask in the blessings of a generous, loving God.

Flannel sheets. Can I be thankful for flannel sheets? And monkey pants?

Rain. And sun. And the farmers who make growing our food their livelihood. I'm thankful for them.

I'm thankful for pie. That I got the pie-making gene from my grandmothers and seem to have passed it to my daughter. It's our traditional contribution to the Thanksgiving feast, and we take it seriously.

So with all of this talk of pie, you'd think I'd embellish today's post with a picture of, well, pie, right? Yes, that would make sense. But I chose the trencadis tile bench because the beautiful mosaic of broken tiles reminded me that there is beauty and there are blessings even in the broken parts of our lives. I know today is not a happy day of feasting and family fun for everyone. There is hunger. And sickness. And loneliness. My prayer for today: that our hearts will overflow with gratitude that touches and transforms all within our reach. Happy Thanksgiving!

2 comments:

  1. Definitely be thankful for flannel sheets. Seems like last year we looked and could not find any in the stores. It must have been after Christmas and they'd already put out the stuff for summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely Nancy. It brought a tear to my eye. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails