I kin explain

Did that post you just read make you go "huh?????" I kin explain. Maybe.

Saturday, December 5, 2009

And now for something completely wrandom

Why do we have a silent w in "write" but not in wrandom? Do you think it used to be there and just fell off as part of the normal evolution of language?

M. Beteh also shared this photo from her Sanibel trip with me. She told me the story behind the pretty little display with delicate flowers entirely made of shells - these and others like them were created for servicemen during the war. I'm not sure which war that was ... I was guessing WWII since the song was first published in 1924 and I was thinking was probably very popular in the early 1940s. I just did a wrapid (that one could have lost its w too, wright?) scan on Wikipedia and didn't see Frank Sinatra's name on the list of recordings until the 1970s. Wreally? I always associated that song with him.

But my point - seemingly wrandom as my wramblings are, I usually get to one eventually (and it truly is often a surprise even to me) - is to share the incredible hopefulness in this artwork. Whether WWII or Vietnam or Afghanistan ... this represents the hopeful anticipation, even expectation, of a loved one's return to peace from a place of discord. And whether that discord is on the other side of the world, or closer to home or even in our own spirits, there is always reason to hope.

May you find many sources of hope in your lives today, dear friends.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, random thoughts...always good for the soul...as is that artwork. Lovely!

    What I would like to know is why "they" tell you to take the stairs for exercise but then tell women NOT to take the stairs as a safety measure. Which is it? Be fat and safe, or fit and in danger?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! I am jumping up and down in my soul! I've made contact with Virginia! How lovely! Thanks so much for your comments, Katherine, and give Aunt D a hug from me for sharing the link with you! And Uncle B. And any other G's you see ... :)

    Gosh, I've not heard about women staying away from stairs. All women? Seems like it might make sense for women in the third trimester of pregnancy, but otherwise ... Huh.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails