I kin explain

Did that post you just read make you go "huh?????" I kin explain. Maybe.

Friday, December 18, 2009

Star Girls

Some of you may remember the year Lizz and I were the Crazy Star Girls. I'm not exactly sure why we started the star thing. I think it had to do with coming up with an e-mail address. But still ... why?

Anyway, let's see, this would have been in about 2004. We decided that to earn extra dough we'd create all sorts of shiny star-themed things. Dad taught me how to use the scroll saw and the jigsaw on his Shopsmith MARK V.  (That's for you, D and K!) I made all kinds of stars out of nifty scraps of wood I found in his shop - bits of walnut and cherry and some wood species I'd never heard of that he got as samples over the years. We drilled holes in the "arms" of the stars and I made hangers out of wire onto which I'd threaded pretty beads. You can kind of sort of see some of them hanging there on the left. I also made swirly beaded bookmarks with heavy-gauge wire, plus some with gauzy ribbon, copper wire and beads. I made stars out of recycled cardstock to hang the earrings Lizz crafted. Those are on the right. I think I was into mass production and she mastered the detail work. Oh, and I made some bigger stars for tree toppers that I spray-painted gold.

Then we displayed our pretty things at the church bazaar. It wasn't a profitable money-making scheme, but it was fun. And many dear friends, family members and co-workers supported our endeavor (and some also were gifted with our handiwork that year).

I came across some of the doo-dads from our star-thing activities this week when I was attempting to decorate (bad bad tree with defective lights) and enjoyed the memory. And was reminded that my Star Girl is coming home for break tomorrow. Hooray!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails