I kin explain

Did that post you just read make you go "huh?????" I kin explain. Maybe.

Monday, December 7, 2009

Keeping things in perspective



Good morning, friends! Is everyone looking forward to Monday and the week ahead?

I found this photo among a batch from our trip to Traverse City right after our exchange student, Midori, arrived a few years ago. Midori, who initially seemed rather shy, was immediately thrown into our lives and survived with flying colors. We decided to go "up north," but hadn't exactly chosen a destination. I remember her being a little bit concerned about that uncertainty. By then end of the weekend, she was fully initiated into our ways.

When I came upon this image last night, I was struck by the patterns and textures and the order of it. Doesn't it look like all the elements have just been placed there, just so?

You know, the photographer could just as easily have angled her camera this way:


The elements are all still present - just angled upward, putting a different slant on things, so to speak.

Isn't if funny how we say things like, "it's all downhill from here" (meaning the "uphill battle," or tough part, is done and the rest is easy) and things are "looking up" (meaning the future isn't so bleak after all)? I guess the lesson is that life is full of ups and downs. And keeping it all in perspective is key to how we handle those ups and downs.

Happy Monday ... and here's to looking up at a week full of good things!

---
The commenter who won last week's special offer is Annette, to whom I'm sending a pound of calorie-free Lobster Butter Love from Roos Roast in Ann Arbor. (Don't worry, it's not lobster-flavored coffee.) I first discovered this roast in the fall of 2008 at the Ann Arbor Farmers Market on one of my visits to see Lizz. I was about a "quart low," having run short on my coffee supply at home and was feeling blurry. After sampling a cup of the brew, I stocked up on a few bags ... and then re-stocked for self and others when we were at the market again just before Christmas last year. Even the artwork on the bags is fun - hand-inked by the artist and his fellow roasters.


Online ordering is easy at www.roosroast.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails