I kin explain

Did that post you just read make you go "huh?????" I kin explain. Maybe.

Sunday, December 6, 2009

Birds and Church Bells


Those are the sounds I heard upon awakening today.

A ginormous convention of some bird species was engaged in very loud debate about something before flying off ... most likely in a southern direction. (I wonder if they'll go as far south as this
Yellow-Crowned Night Heron, the last of M. Beteh's vacation photos I've been sharing this week.)

Moments after my feathered friends departed, the church bells began chiming. There are, lemme see, six churches within a few blocks of our house. Seven days a week, the Lutheran church across the street, which is attached to an elementary school, chimes at 7:30. In four years I've not figured out which of the other churches join in at various times on Sunday - it's now 8:45 and a slightly more distant one just chimed. But one of these days I'm going to figure it out.

In any event, both are pretty nice sounds to hear.

I had thought I'd reflect some on birds of peace today, and wondered if herons, like doves and certain cranes, have been associated with peace. In my shiny wanderings, I came across a new treasure - the Tiny Aviary, one of the nesting places of Chicago illustrator Diana Sudyka. Both destinations are delightful.

With that discovery, I decided to cut short my own reflection ... and invite you to share your thoughts on symbols of peace. And may you experience peace in abundance on this Sabbath day and always.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails