I kin explain

Did that post you just read make you go "huh?????" I kin explain. Maybe.

Thursday, December 24, 2009

Grandma Wahl's Butter Balls and other important traditions

I remember Grandma Wahl always made pineapple sticks – in large quantities – for every occasion. Graduation? “I made the pineapple sticks! Forty seven dozen are in the freezer!” Family reunion? Happy Easter Esther? Christmas? First communion? Wedding reception? Yep, those pineapple sticks were baked and stashed away. Because Grandma Wahl planned ahead.


But pineapple sticks doesn't rhyme. And those butter balls were a Christmas tradition for many years. When I came across the recipe in my big tin box last night I knew it had to be the headline for something.

You'll be happy to know I finally made the gingerbread cookie dough. Yesterday evening I searched for over an hour for the cloves I'd just purchased. Almost broke down and used allspice and then found the new container of cloves still in the bag in the closet. Oh yeah. I'm a planner, I am.

Every year we look at all the possible cookie recipes ... so many cookies, so little time. But for me, the gingerbread people are essential. We have to get that smell into the walls of our house. Just doing it a bit late this year.

What are your essential Christmas traditions? Care to share? Oh geez. There go the bells.

1 comment:

  1. I just love reading Shiny Things! You really have a gift for sharing, Nancy. I do suggest you include recipes when you mention them though, I'd like to make pineapple sticks. :)

    Sincerely,

    Anonymous-Lee

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails