I kin explain

Did that post you just read make you go "huh?????" I kin explain. Maybe.

Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Gratitudinous Tuesday


Last week was Snoozeday Tuesday ... Gratitudinous is a word, isn't it? Oh my cow. Go Google it. It IS a word! It's officially my word of the day now.

This photo must have been taken about five or six years ago. I can tell because it's in our old house (we moved into our new old house four years ago) with our very old oatmeal sofa. My dad is there, holding the pillow Lizz made him for Christmas. (That's not Sparty, that's Butch, right, Hulk?) I know it's Christmas morning in this photo, probably just before my sister's family trooped over for sticky buns and presents. We lived in my sister's back yard (hey, Scott! one word or two?) for about 15 years. Well, not literally in the back yard. In a tiny house behind her house. There's so much to be thankful for in this whole memory - I'll just mention a few things right now. I am thankful for my sister and brother-in-law, who provided a home for us for so many years. I'm thankful that we had a warm, safe place to live, but most of all, for the nearness and love of family.

That old house was about 800 square feet. That's about the area of our entire second floor now. Maybe less. It was enough. I am thankful to have always been blessed with enough.

Right now, the second floor is serving as the Something Shiny B&B. Claudette and I got a wonderful surprise last night! My dear friend Ardeth Frangipani was in the area and spent the night. I hope she's sleeping comfortably up there. We had a nice evening drinking tea and chatting. We've been friends for just about forever. And even if we go weeks or a month or more without communicating ... we're able to just jump in and start in the middle of the conversation. I am thankful for Ardeth, and I could take decades of posts sharing all of the ways her steadfast friendship has sustained me over the years. I am thankful that I have ample space here at the B&B to be her "port in a storm."

Hulk has told me he doesn't "need" any pie, although he's enjoying his cookies. Seems he's quite the pie chef himself. I'm still waiting for his sour cream apple pie recipe. Ahem. In any event, I'd love to share some more thankful thoughts here on Thursday. So I'll extend the deadline for this week's special to Wednesday (tomorrow) night. When I wake up Thursday morning, I'll run all the thankful thoughts here ... and I'll randomly select a pie recipient. We can work out logistics on Friday.

Which reminds me: I'm thankful for short work weeks! I'm thankful for my work family. I'm thankful for ...

4 comments:

  1. Sour Cream Apple Pie
    Serves 12-10-inch pie tin
    If desired, you can add finely chopped walnuts to the crust and quick oats to the topping.
    This is a thick pie and servings are generous.

    Ingredients
    Crust
    1 ¾ cups plus 1 to 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
    ½ cup sugar
    1 teaspoon cinnamon
    ½ teaspoon salt
    ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons butter
    ¼ cup water or apple cider

    Filling
    8 large favorite tart baking apples peeled, cored, sliced
    1-2/3 cups sour cream (or reduced fat sour cream)
    1 cup sugar
    1/3 cup all-purpose flour
    1 egg
    2 teaspoons vanilla
    ½ teaspoon salt

    Topping
    1 cup chopped walnuts
    ½ cup all-purpose flour
    1/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
    1/3 cup sugar
    1 tablespoon cinnamon
    Pinch of salt
    ½ cup (1 stick) butter, softened

    Directions
    Crust
    To prepare the crust: In a medium bowl, combine 1 ¾ cups of the flour, sugar, cinnamon, and salt. Cut in the butter, using a pastry blender or two knives, until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Add the water or apple cider and toss gently with a fork until evenly moistened. Gather mixture to form a dough ball and then shape in to a disc.

    Lightly sprinkle the work area with the remaining 1-2 tablespoons of flour. Roll the disc into a circle slightly larger than a deep ten-inch (Editor’s Note: *snicker*-“deep ten-inch”; *snort*) pie dish. Ease the pastry into the dish and flute a high edge; set aside.

    Filling
    Preheat oven to 450 degrees. In a large bowl, gently mix together all the filling ingredients. Spoon ingredients into the prepared crust and bake for ten minutes.
    Reduce the oven temp to 350 degrees and continue baking until filling is slightly puffed and golden brown, about 40 minutes. If edges of crust start to brown too quickly, cover edges with aluminum foil. While pie is baking, prepare the topping.

    Topping
    In a medium bowl, combine the walnuts, flour, brown sugar, sugar, cinnamon, and salt. Mix well. Blend in the butter until the mixture is crumbly.

    Remove pie after 40 minutes and spoon the topping over the pie. Bake 15 minutes longer. Remove from oven and serve.


    There you have it. I am not a huge sour cream fan, so I go a little easy on that ingredient. 1-1/3 or even just 1 cup might be enough. And I just peel the apples, cut the four sides off the core, and chunk them up. Also I have never used the cider. And if anyone can tell me HOW TO GET THE DAMN CRUST FROM THE COUNTERTOP TO THE PIE TIN WITHOUT IT BREAKING UP AND CAUSING ME TO LOSE MY F***ING MIND EVERY-FREAKING-TIME, I would be quite appreciative.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and it's Brutus The Buckeye, not Butch. And he looks nothing like Sparty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my. What am I NOT thankful for. I am blessed beyond measure. Healthy children. Loving husband. A few dear friends (including one of whom might teach me how to make a decent pie crust?). Home. Food. Clothing. Not just enough, but plenty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. good morning, dear anonymous friend ... what a lovely thankful thought! Who are you? Can you send me an e-mail if you don't want to reveal your identity here?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails