I kin explain

Did that post you just read make you go "huh?????" I kin explain. Maybe.

Saturday, November 7, 2009

Wide-Open Saturday


I love Saturday mornings. Especially when I don't have a fully packed schedule ahead. My sister wants me to help with a Polish dinner/dance thing at 5:00 at her church. (I'm thinking about it, OK?) And I have plans to share a glass or two of wine with a dear friend later in the evening after her kiddies are in bed. And I have to figure out what to take for fellowship time at church tomorrow because it's my turn ...

But other than that? I have a day full of potential ahead. Woo-hoo!

Be right back. First things first. Gotta go grind the coffee beans and get the coffee brewing. And feed Claudette. She's asking nicely.

There. Claudette's been fed and watered. Oh! She fell off the bathroom sink again. That's at least the third time in the last few days. I hope she's not developing some sort of issue that will require expensive medical attention.

Oh ... speaking of pet care ... um, Lizz? The fish died this week. I'm so sorry. And I hope you will forgive me for telling you here. I didn't want to bother you with sad news of a piscine nature when you were so busy at school. But remember when I told you it was acting kind of sluggish before I cleaned the tank a couple of weeks ago? It/he/she got more sluggish after the cleaning and then when I got home from work on Tuesday, it/he/she was ... gone. Odd that it didn't float to the top. I thought they always floated? Claudette and I said a few words (I could tell she was distressed) and then, well, fishy went the way of all deceased fishies ...

So back to our wide-open day. The danger for someone like me is that when I don't have an agenda planning out every moment, the list continues and the lavender still calls ...

The problem with The List is that it keeps growing and transmogrifying. And a lot of those pesky things have to be done more than once. Go figure!

I know the other grownups out there have known that all along and are dutiful and disciplined with their to-do lists.

The theme of this year for me has been introspection and discernment. I know I have certain talents (still figuring them out) and other areas where I am not gifted - and in which I do not aspire to greatness (or even mere adequacy). Of course, there are tasks I don't want to do but have to find a better, saner way to do because really, only I can or should do them.

All of my THINKING flies in the face of the whole "Just do it" mentality. Probably drives some people nuts.

So ... the question is ... do I heed the call of the lavender today (so to speak, it's a bit beyond its season) or tackle the list or do a bit of both? It's shiny outside - sunny and blue and bright - so I think I'll do a bit of both. I'd still like it if someone else could be the grownup for me and do all this other stuff:

  • Mail the correspondence (I seem unable to keep track of envelopes and stamps; I have a collection of never-mailed letters and thank you cards)
  • Upload and organize the photos
  • Make the phone calls (why can’t everyone just check their e-mail?)
  • Balance the checkbook (and pay the bills)
  • Put away the dishes ... and the laundry (seriously, why can't you do this once and just be done with it?)
  • Clean out the dryer vent (how do you DO that, anyway?)
  • Back up the computer
  • Make the beds
  • Sell dad's house - or figure out how to be a landlord
  • Start an exercise plan – and then stick to it
  • Caulk the tub and shower
  • Change the light bulbs ... oh crap – there goes another one
  • Watch the news and read the paper (but please tell me the highlights)
  • Weatherstrip the doors
  • Repair the tile
  • Simplify my life!
One more cup of coffee. Then we'll see what happens.

1 comment:

Related Posts with Thumbnails