I kin explain

Did that post you just read make you go "huh?????" I kin explain. Maybe.

Thursday, November 19, 2009

Vital Information

I was just skimming through an older issue of Smithsonian magazine in, uh, "the library," and saw that Pete Seeger was turning 90 in May.

It's a good thing we don't count on magazines as a vital source of up-to-the-second news. But this little example is a good illustration of why I am personally responsible for the downfall of the newspaper industry.

I admit it. It's all my fault. And I'm really really sorry. Now, please take a moment to appreciate how shiny our dearly departed cat, Pierre, is. Was.



When I used to get the Sunday paper, you know what I'd do? Dump all the ads into the recycling bin. Or put them in the vicinity of my current painting project. Move them out of the way so I could read THE NEWS.

I also do not watch TV. At home, that is. If I am in a place with a TV ... I will watch it. And very soon, drool will begin oozing out of the corner of my mouth because of all the shiny things to be found. And the clicking. And I ignore everyone around me ... "Shhh! Watch this! Just a second! Shhh!" Until they thwack me on the head and drag me back.

Somehow, though, the television folks are doing just fine without me. Why is that? But back to the newspaper ... I really think we will see a return - in a new form, to be sure - of the local newspaper. There's that wide-eyed optimism Ann always accuses me of being afflicted with. What do you think? How do get your vital information ... other than from my pithy posts, of course? (I just love the word "pithy" and was looking for a place to insert it today!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails