I kin explain

Did that post you just read make you go "huh?????" I kin explain. Maybe.

Saturday, January 23, 2010

Books, books and more books


I like books. LOVE books. A perfect Saturday for me is to wake up, enjoy my coffee and some excellent whole grain toast - or ginger cookies - or both - in bed for a few hours while immersing myself in a good book. Or a few good books. Then maybe putter around for a while (puttering is kind of tough these days) and maybe after lunch find a comfy spot to read and nap until dinnertime. And then read some more before bed.

It wouldn't be a treat if I did it every day. But once in a while ... oh, it's wonderful.

My dad loved books, too, but after a certain point in the progression of his dementia he was more of a collector than a reader. We have been trying to find good homes for his extensive collection of books and other things since he passed away almost two years ago. Today is the last big push in that effort, spurred on by an upcoming book sale hosted by the UMW (United Methodist Women) at our church to raise money for missions. It's just the sense of urgency we needed. And of course I'm sitting here like a one-legged bump on a log. But I'm so thankful it's happening, and that Dad's love of books may help others in the end.

While Dad was adding to his collection of books, magazines, newsletters, tapes, CDs and other media in the last decade or so of his life, maneuvering around his house got increasingly treacherous. The shelves in his office were filled to overflowing. Piles of books and magazines and newspapers were stacked on the sofa (staining the cushions with ink), the coffee table (which eventually collapsed from the weight, so I had it repaired last year), in every corner of every room and closet. In the many hours I spent sorting through the piles, every now and then I'd find a treasure. An apparently well-loved poetry volume that belonged to my mom. A history textbook with my grandfather's scribbles and notes. A book of prayers. Those that I thought had some family memory attached I set aside. The rest? Boxed up for distribution elsewhere. All part of the process of deconstructing a life. Some are meaningful, tangible reminders of a person or a special memory, but for the most part, it's all just stuff.

This whole meditation on stuff is definitely one to revisit ... so today I'll try to focus just on the reading material segment of this topic. If you could keep just three books, what would they be?


HOW TO COMMENT
I've been asked to regularly include how-to information for commenting. I'm going to add to the bottom of each post until I'm able to find some other way of putting this on the site (or, ideally, find an easier way for people of all e-abilities to comment). Please COMMENT and let me know if this was helpful! 
1. Directly below the "You may also like"  images just below each post, to the far right of the text that begins "Posted by ..." is text that says "xx comments." Click on that text. It will open up a comment box. I promise.
2. Enter comment.
3. Click on Post Comment button below the box.
4. Select Name/URL. You can enter your name or whatever name you want to be known by. If you have a blog or other Web address (URL), go ahead and enter (then curious commenters and others can go visit yourblog)  ... if not, leave URL blank. You may also select Anonymous ... but it's much more fun to make up a name than be known as Anonymous, don't you think? 

5. Click on Continue. Sometimes, your comment will publish right away.  Sometimes, the system is stubborn and you'll see some text that says something like "Blogger was not able to publish your comment" or similar. So click on Post Comment again. It will take ... or it will bring up a box with squiggly letters. If your comment appears on the page - you're done!
6. If you get the squiggly letters, enter them in the box. This is protection against spam. I think you'll be prompted to click "Enter" or something similar. Your comment will appear on the page, and you are done.

2 comments:

  1. What a hard question! Only three? I guess the first two are rather easy. I'd keep grandma's copy of Gone with the Wind (even though it's not technically mine) because I could read that over and over again. I'd also keep my Bible, in part just because it has a lot of sentimental value with all the things it's gotten me through over the past eleven years of owning it and all the notes in the margins, but also because I could read it over and over again. The third one's tough though. Probably just what I was reading at the time, so that I didn't have to leave it unfinished. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boy that is a hard one to answer. Can I say 4?
    First of all I would like one of my Bibles. Either the one that was mom's, or the one that dad gave me a few years ago or the worn one that I use at work. My second book, although not a classic, is my green cookbook that mom gave me when I was 18. The third book is "The Giving Tree". The older I get the more I think about that and my 4th book would be my address book. Don't laugh.
    You know I always wanted to know what books would you grab in case of a fire. I thnk my answer would be the same.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails