I kin explain

Did that post you just read make you go "huh?????" I kin explain. Maybe.

Sunday, January 24, 2010

Haven't got time for the pain ...


Aunt Linda sent me this darling, happy little combination hot water bottle/ice pack a few years ago. She always sends the most interesting gifts - very often things I had no idea I needed. Or might need some day.

I packed this, along with my herb pillow, when I moved to my sister's house on Jan. 4. (Holy cow - didn't I say I was just going to be here for a week-ish? And now we're ending the third week?) This little treasure has been wonderful for icing my aching wrists and elbows. I cannot understand why they hurt like they do. And everything else, too. I am still YOUNG, for goodness sake.

It's gray, drizzly and gross outside. The kind of Sunday when, if I was at my house, I'd probably find a zillion reasons to stay home from church. Because I'd be alone and wouldn't have someone telling me we had to go. And there would very likely be a sympathetic cat curled up by my side. But today I woke up to the sounds and smells of breakfast being prepared. The hustle and bustle of last-minute preparations for a baby shower this afternoon. I feel kind of bad for missing church but participating in one of these important rituals of the village - this celebration of new life, the sacredness of motherhood and the solidarity of womanhood - this is another way of worshiping God and giving thanks for the love that connects us all.

I'm glad for the baby shower - even though I could be tempted to stay behind with my hot water bottle, heating pad and a good book. It's one more reason to get up and keep moving and remember that even when life is hard ... it goes on. Ice packs, heating pads,  prayers, and loving friends and family help us move through our aches and pains.

I pray that you find the Sabbath rest you need plus abundant sunny spots in this gray day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails