I kin explain

Did that post you just read make you go "huh?????" I kin explain. Maybe.

Saturday, January 9, 2010

Moooooozyka to my ears!

It really is shameful how entirely focused I am on myself, isn't it? Bragging about the special attention I'm getting from famous, talented musicians. The consuming of specially prepared meals. The being pampered. The wearing of monkey pants day in and day out. The being fanned by palm fronds and eating of peeled grapes. Oh ... I'm just kidding about the palms and grapes.

It was so tough to focus on anything all day Wednesday, because Muzyka was coming here for their weekly practice! I wanted to wait until I had photos before writing about it. Here they are in my sister's family room. And yes, that is a little bit of my foot at the bottom of that first photo, right in the middle. Oops. Don't you just love Lee's smile? It lights up the room! And don't be deceived by the serious expressions on Johnny's and Chuck's faces. Their witticisms, dryly delivered, will have you falling out of your chair. The three together are a brilliant combination. (And when Hillary is included, she adds the frosting and sprinkles ... you know what I mean if you've ever heard Hillary's glorious voice.)

I first enjoyed Muzyka when they performed at our church several years ago. Two of the members (Lee and Hillary, who is now in college) are members of our church. They were known then as Sacred Voices. I fell instantly in love with the group and its performance style - a blend of traditional and original gospel, folk and other tunes - delivered with humor, joy, irreverence and/or reverence (whatever is required by the song or occasion).

Last month when I first mentioned that Muzyka always lifts my spirits and offered their new CD, Enter In, to a lucky commenter, I could not have dreamed I would be blessed to have them come to my home (or home away from home) to perform for me.


Was this the cat song? I was so entranced, I didn't think to write down the songs.

We learned the difference between the musicians' instruments. Chuck's and Lee's look very similar, but they're not the same. Twenty points if you can name the instruments left to right! (I don't know what we'll do with the points. It just sounded like a good idea to award points.)

Today I woke up with aches and pains from top to bottom. Thinking, as usual, of all of my to-do's. And how much harder it is to do them - and how I may have to let some go and modify others to my current ability. But then I got out of bed (when I was really tempted to curl into a ball ... dang, can't quite do that ... and stay there). And crutchered down the loooooong hall. And was served coffee and breakfast and more coffee. And had pillows and heating pads propped around my aching self. And was harassed about sleeping 'til noon (it was 8:55) and taking cream in my coffee (John's trying to wean me from the 1/2 and 1/2). And started looking at the photos from Wednesday. And the days before that ... and reflecting on all the other ways I've been lifted up the past couple of weeks and really, my entire life, whenever I've been down literally or figuratively.

Today is the two-week anniversary of breaking my ankle. So much has happened in these 14 days. Included are the countless ways I've been reminded of the love that surrounds me. The ways that through  actions big and small we each have the chance to help lift others up with a word, a touch, a smile, a meal or a song. I know it's not about me. But through my experience, I know I am meant to learn and share some important lessons, such as this one: Every kindness shared is a blessing to God's eyes and music to God's ears. I pray that I will carry this lesson in my heart and my actions all the days of my life.

2 comments:

  1. Nancy, it was a blast to come over and play at your sister's home! We played for pay at a nursing home retirement party last night for a crowd of 50 dis-interested revelers, and, I far more enjoyed playing for the joy of music and fun for three great admiring and appreciative fans Wednesday night. I hope that your dancing in the aisles while we were playing doesn't set your recovery back too much! Thanks again for having us, Johnny

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nancy,

    I guess falling on the ice is going around. My wife Nancy fell a week ago, and broke her arm. She just had surgery today, and it went well. But I was trying to think of some way to cheer her, something unusual in her life to lift her spirits. In the end, I told her that Muzyka would NOT come to her house and give her a private concert.

    So it's all in your point of view.......Chuck

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails