I kin explain

Did that post you just read make you go "huh?????" I kin explain. Maybe.

Friday, January 29, 2010

Fish on Fridays

I always wondered about the eating fish on Fridays thing. Once, I asked a nun about why it was OK to eat fish flesh on Fridays (during Lent) - because really, how is fish NOT a type of meat?  - and she got really really angry. 



I'm simply very inquisitive. Like a cat. I didn't mean to make her angry. I wanted to know and thought she was in a great position to finally enlighten me. I wholeheartedly agree that there are some things we should just "take on faith." But this isn't one of them. Whether it's the "obvious" connection to the ichthus or something rooted in a once-but-no-longer-relevant event in history ... I think it would be good to know the real reason.

A few years ago Scott told me the Fish on Fridays tradition started with a papal decree designed to prop up the fishing industry in Italy at some point in history. I don't recall if it was in the last century or so ... or a really really long time ago. If I were a good researcher (or was really really in need of a shiny diversion) I'd go look that up.

In any event, T.G.I.F. The last two Fridays we went out for fish at a club my sister and brother-in-law and new member Amy and her husband belong to. You have to go down a bunch of stairs to get into this place, so I had the distinct honor of entertaining everyone by riding the little one-seater chair-vator. I just have to remember not to wear stretchy pants. Almost lost my pants that first time. Good gracious. That would have been enough to make some folks think maybe sushi and a cup of miso would be a better Friday evening meal.

So what do you know about the Fish on Fridays (during Lent or otherwise) tradition? 


HOW TO COMMENT
I've been asked to regularly include how-to information for commenting. I'm going to add to the bottom of each post until I'm able to find some other way of putting this on the site (or, ideally, find an easier way for people of all e-abilities to comment). Please COMMENT and let me know if this was helpful! 
1. Directly below the "You may also like"  images just below each post, to the far right of the text that begins "Posted by ..." is text that says "xx comments." Click on that text. It will open up a comment box. I promise.
2. Enter comment.
3. Click on Post Comment button below the box.
4. Select Name/URL. You can enter your name or whatever name you want to be known by. If you have a blog or other Web address (URL), go ahead and enter (then curious commenters and others can go visit 
yourblog)  ... if not, leave URL blank. You may also select Anonymous ... but it's much more fun to make up a name than be known as Anonymous, don't you think? 

5. Click on Continue. Sometimes, your comment will publish right away.  Sometimes, the system is stubborn and you'll see some text that says something like "Blogger was not able to publish your comment" or similar. So click on Post Comment again. It will take ... or it will bring up a box with squiggly letters. If your comment appears on the page - you're done!
6. If you get the squiggly letters, enter them in the box. This is protection against spam. I think you'll be prompted to click "Enter" or something similar. Your comment will appear on the page, and you are done.

1 comment:

  1. I haven't heard those words (stretchy pants) since the movie Nacho Libre. You and Jack Black make quite a pair. Eat more fish! Don't ask why, just eat it.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails