I kin explain

Did that post you just read make you go "huh?????" I kin explain. Maybe.

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Good medicine


Are you following the health care reform debate?

I'm not really. But I'm certainly experiencing the system and recognizing the need for change. And how.

I have started to receive the bills from my broken ankle, surgery and brief hospitalization.

Holy.

Cow.

I am certainly thankful that I have health insurance, mostly subsidized by my employer. (I pay a hefty premium but it's pre-tax.) As someone who has always been basically healthy and is not a big consumer of health care services, I've been guilty of only paying partial attention to how it all works. Deductible? Coverage for various services? In-network, out-of-network, referrals? Typically, our expenses are no more than a couple of hundred dollars. If that. Except for when Lizz had her wisdom teeth removed. THAT was ridiculously costly.

So far, I've received bills with poorly itemized charges for:

Room/board - semi-private room (3 nights)
Pharmacy
Med-sur "supplies"
Lab
DX X-Ray
OR "Services"
Anesthesia (multiple charges)
Physical Therapy
Emergency Room
Recovery Room
"Professional Charges"
"Hospital Charges"
X-Ray Ankle 2 views
X-Ray Chest single view
X-Ray Ankle complete minimum of 3 views

I'll award a roll of TP worth $1,000 for the closest guess on the grand total thus far. (My part will hopefully be substantially less, but seeing the total "cost" is truly frightening.)

Oh, it wears me out to think about this. And it saddens me to think of all the people who are sicker than I and have little or no insurance coverage. I've known for many many years that our system is broken and needs fixing.

On the bright side ... the sun is shining today!

HOW TO COMMENT
I've been asked to regularly include how-to information for commenting. I'm going to add to the bottom of each post until I'm able to find some other way of putting this on the site (or, ideally, find an easier way for people of all e-abilities to comment). Please COMMENT and let me know if this was helpful! 
1. Directly below the "You may also like"  images just below each post, to the far right of the text that begins "Posted by ..." is text that says "xx comments." Click on that text. It will open up a comment box. I promise.
2. Enter comment.
3. Click on Post Comment button below the box.
4. Select Name/URL. You can enter your name or whatever name you want to be known by. If you have a blog or other Web address (URL), go ahead and enter (then curious commenters and others can go visit yourblog)  ... if not, leave URL blank. You may also select Anonymous ... but it's much more fun to make up a name than be known as Anonymous, don't you think? 

5. Click on Continue. Sometimes, your comment will publish right away.  Sometimes, the system is stubborn and you'll see some text that says something like "Blogger was not able to publish your comment" or similar. So click on Post Comment again. It will take ... or it will bring up a box with squiggly letters. If your comment appears on the page - you're done!
6. If you get the squiggly letters, enter them in the box. This is protection against spam. I think you'll be prompted to click "Enter" or something similar. Your comment will appear on the page, and you are done.

2 comments:

  1. People are relying to medicines when it comes to health problems. But we should choose the medicines that we are taking. Always consult your doctor for the right medicines and its proper dosage to avoid any health issues and complications due to wrong medication which may also lead to patient's death.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails