I kin explain

Did that post you just read make you go "huh?????" I kin explain. Maybe.

Sunday, July 25, 2010

Peachy day


After I finished yesterday's post, neighbor C and I went to Dawn of a New Day - a coffee house in Saginaw I'd never been to because the usual hours are 7 a.m. to 2 p.m. M-F. I've always heard good things about this place and was so excited to go!

Dawn sells some of her coffee blends at the Farmer's Market and when I stopped at their booth last Saturday I was told that they were open on some Saturdays since they've been catering to a huge gathering of Jehovah Witnesses (big to-do at TheDow, just down the street). The coffee house is directly across the street from the pretty much vacant Saginaw News building.

Just a normal late morning crowd was there when we arrived ... I think the JW group goes in the afternoon.

My croissant sandwich (it was 11-ish by then) was called Dawn's Deliciousness. Really great chicken salad with chopped grapes, dried cranberries, walnuts and huge chunks of chicken. All held together with mayo. Topped with a lovely bunch of fresh baby spinach leaves. Mmmmmm ... Since I'd already had a few cups of coffee, I followed C's suggestion and tried her favorite: a vanilla French soda. I eyed the extreme whiteness of it a bit dubiously at first, but oh, yum! It was sweet, vanilla-y and fizzy and just truly deliciously refreshing.

I justified this completely low-fat (!) splurge-fest by the fact that it was early-ish in the day and I probably would not eat until dinner and then I'd probably just snack on fruit or veggies or something. And really, all my food groups were covered. I think the spinach tipped the nutrition scale in the right direction.

Yes indeedy.

So then we went back across the street to the Farmers Market, which by then was pretty deserted. Saturdays are hoppingest in the morning. But everyone seemed to have peaches, so I bought some at the Briggs' stall and the Davis booth. (Had to stop in and see my friends.) Of course, I picked the basket that had the darling specimen above with its lovely little sprig of leaves still attached.

So that's what I did up until noon-ish. I need to go get ready for my writing group now - we're doing "flash fiction" today at one of the member's homes instead of our usual coffee house location to celebrate her return from many months of international travel. I'm taking fruit. TTFN!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails