I kin explain

Did that post you just read make you go "huh?????" I kin explain. Maybe.

Monday, January 4, 2010

Can you do this?



Comments make me this happy! If you've been reading Shiny Things for any length of time you know I looovvvvee comments. I'm giddy for comments. So when Anonymous-Lee asked for the recipes for Grandma Wahl's Butter Balls and Pineapple Sticks in the comment section? I had to oblige!

Grandma Wahl’s Butter Balls

1 cup butter
3/4 cup powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups flour
1 cup finely chopped pecans

Cream butter, sugar and vanilla. Add flour and nuts. Roll into balls. Bake on ungreased cookie sheets 15 minutes at 350 F. (The recipe does not say to chill the dough first, but when I made these, they were not quite ball-shaped. Tasty ... but more plop-like. Tasty plops. Chilling the dough may make them hold their shape.)

Roll butter balls in extra powdered sugar when cool. Store in airtight container.

Pineapple Sticks

2 cups granulated sugar
1 cup crushed pineapple
4 eggs, separated
1/2 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
1 tsp baking powder
2-1/4 cups flour
pinch salt
1 tsp vanilla
powdered sugar for coating cooled sticks (set aside in a brown paper lunch bag)

Combine sugar and pineapple in non-reactive bowl. Beat egg yolks in separate bowl. Add yolks and vanilla to sugar-pineapple mixture. Stir well to combine. Sift dry ingredients into wet and combine. Fold in stiffly beaten egg whites. Pour mixture into greased and floured 13 x 9 pan and bake 30 minutes in oven preheated to 350F. When completely cool, cut into sticks (like bars - but about half the width). Toss cooled sticks, a few at a time, in powdered sugar. Store in airtight container. These freeze well! 


Cindy, one of my e-mail readers, also sent a note suggesting I post a recipe a week - maybe on Thursdays? Does everyone like that idea? Should I stick with a theme - or whatever Shiny Thing strikes me at the moment? Oh! Oh! Oh! I have an idea! But I'd love to hear yours - let me know what you think in the comment section or send me an e-mail. Yay! We have a plan for Thursday!

3 comments:

  1. Oh, I'm so happy about the recipes, thanks Nancy! Yes, I like the recipe a week idea and I think you need to just go with whatever strikes your fancy that week. I'll stay tuned! Anonymous-Lee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! Oh! I agree with Anonymous-Lee's "just go with whatever strikes your fancy that week."

    Butter balls and pineapple sticks both sound so delicious yet what the heck are they?

    I guess I'll just have to google it.

    Peace and tidings!

    I like the picture...just did that pose too myself with Lizz ya know. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww .... I can just imagine you girls doing that. The Team Mancy salute:)

    Sweet dreams to the Elizabeths! Mama Nancy's off to bed now.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails